Testaccio Neighborhood Food & Market Tour
Discover Testaccio, an off-the-beaten-path neighborhood where you'll explore a local market and taste Rome's most iconic dishes.
- Take part in a typical Italian breakfast of coffee and pastries, including a very special Roman delicacy!
- Discover how Romans do their grocery shopping with a tasting tour through the Testaccio market.
- Hear from one of the oldest establishments in the neighborhood about his family's 100-year-old vineyard.
- Try traditional cured meats and cheeses and taste test different balsamic vinegars and extra virgin olive oils.
- Experience a Roman lunch with three types of pasta and wine, and learn some tips on how to do lunch like the locals do!
- Learn about the difference between gelato and ice cream and enjoy a cone of your favorite flavors!
What to Expect on Your Tour
Discover what everyday life is like for Romans in this traditional, authentic neighborhood while trying all of Rome’s typical dishes. Learn about the passion these small business owners have for their family-run market stalls, meat and cheese stores and trattorias, where they serve up mouthwatering food with incredible stories behind it. Find out what makes Testaccio unique and how its evolution over the centuries has influenced Roman culture and food today.
STOP BY STOP:
Start your morning the Italian way with coffee and pastries in this bustling bakery that serves as the meeting point for locals all over the neighborhood.
Following a typical day’s schedule for Romans, we’ll make our way to the local market to speak with some of the passionate stall owners who have had their stalls for 40 years and try one of Rome’s famous pizzas as well as cheese brought in from all over Italy.
After taking a look at the monument which has greatly influenced Testaccio’s history and food, we’ll relax with the original Roman street food panino and some wine from a multi-generational family vineyard more than 100 years old.
Then, we will cross the neighborhood to a place where old traditions meet modern convenience to try an absolute Roman classic, supplí. These fried rice balls stuffed with mozzarella cheese are a favorite of locals of all ages!
Next, we will get a crash course in all things local at a traditional-style delicatessen. Sample locally-produced prosciutto and salami, marinated vegetables, and of course, learn the ins and outs of two of Italy’s most famous exports – olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
In a nod to the traditional Italian-style lunch, we’ll try the three most famous Roman pastas at a local trattoria, paired with local red wine, while learning more about what meal times typically involve for Italians.
And what better way to end the day than topping all these delicious bites off with gelato? We’ll get it at a historic gelateria serving up flavors that are made in the back by scratch, every morning.
About Our Expert GuidesMeet them here!
Map Your Tour
Away from the hustle and bustle of the historic center, Testaccio is a true Roman neighborhood, birthplace of some of the most iconic Roman dishes and home to a host of family-run food stores, restaurants and market stalls.